Here are some useful tips for getting involved in research:
1. Check out the faculty directory :: look for professors in departments that you are interested in.
Hint: look for researchers with “professor” in their title because they tend to have their own labs. The best professors to research with are those who are trying to get published (they tend to be young). Lots of recent publications is a good sign – it means that they’re active. An updated website is a good sign too.
2. You can also check out other websites like EUREKA for research opportunities. Network like crazy – you never know who you’ll meet.
3. Once you find research you’re interested in, it’s a good idea to check the researcher’s website to see if they’re hiring undergraduates. There’s a chance that you could apply through their website. Only contact the professor (step 4) if there is no online application.
4. Contact the professor. To do this you need to email them expressing an interest in working with them. Be sure to explain why you’re interested in their research – saying “please hire me because I need research experience/a job” isn’t going to cut it. Hint: BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL. Make sure to keep your email concise – professors get tons of emails, so don’t waste their time. Make sure to mention your background/experience.
5. Always be courteous. Remember to thank the professor for her/his time. Also, coffee chats are good – they help you to get to know more about the professor/their research in a more casual setting (you should pay for the coffee!)
**Remember: you can always ask your SURGe officers for help!**
Explore UT is a day where families come to visit the campus. SURGe will be hosting a booth at the event! We will be making glove balloons and other fun science activities. I highly recommend volunteering at Explore UT–it’s a lot of fun! Sign up here as soon as possible to volunteer!
We will be hosting our largest event of the semester this Friday, March 6th from 3:00 pm-5:00 pm in the Quadrangle and Lone Star Rooms in the Union! We will present the stories of experienced researchers on how they got into research and what they do now, as well as showcase interesting science and it’s applications through a series of interactive events. Come out for some delicious catered food and to learn more about research on campus! (We might also have prizes and free shirts — hint, hint!) 😀
West Mall Sale
Friday, November 14 @ 9am-4pm; West Mall Area Celebrate the joy of giving by getting a lovely plant for a Christmas gift for your friends and family! Your money will help support undergraduate researchers at UT Austin!